19 February, 2011

residents of venezia

Waking around the Venezia, I found lots of shops, restaurants, and hotels. Especially, each ancient building definitely had a shop, like sun-glass shops where visitors looked for Gucci, D&G, Giorgio Armani in here. I also went into United Colors of Benetton, looking for a reasonable T shirt, in order to change my shirt 'cause I was in a sweat because of long walking under sun-shinning.

While putting on a shirt, I realized that I had not seen any "real" residents yet. Usually, when waking in a town, soon I encounter town-residents, like kids playing football in a small empty lot or housewives carrying supermarket plastic bags with full of foods. In here, in case I encountered them, it seemed to be a rare occasion. All people I saw seemed to be visitors, tourists, staffs of shops, restaurants, and hotels. At the supermarket, visitors bought dozens of beers and chips for night party.

So, current Venezia is not same as ancient Venezia, where notorious merchants were busy around Pont di Rialto.

Here was Venezia, still I could see the same colors of roofs and sea as what people saw in hundreds years ago.

No comments: