31 December, 2012

philadelphia sauerkraut and bratwurst

It was just before Christmas when I was at the center of Philadelphia city, and just walking along with the Broad Street. Behind me, there was an old city hall famously known by the statute of the city founder sitting on its top. I walked up the street to go to the Kimmel Center, the home of Philadelphia Orchestra, to catch up the opening of its Christmas concert. I remembered that the concert at the time would be performed by the guest-Maestro coming from Vancouver.

It was in the evening, and the wind came from cold Delaware River to this skyscrapers’ valley, and made me or anyone walking around here quite chilly. At some point, I just turned back to the city hall. I could not see the opposite side of it I've already passed through. 

Around the opposite corner of the hall, there was a small squared park, which had a small fountain at its center. At this season, the park was occupied by the Christmas market, lots of small stalls and vendors selling small Christmas ornaments. At first, I felt the market seemed to be quite similar to what I often enjoyed around the cities in Germany, such as Köln’s, though the latter was apparently bigger than here. Later I found it was actually similar, because the market was organized by German society of Philadelphia, and more than that, at least I enjoyed the same smell of hot wine and taste of sauerkraut and bratwurst here in Philadelphia.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

No comments: