25 July, 2012

brocante at heros square

There is a small street named "rue de nieuwenhove" near Heros square in Uccle commune area. On the side of this street, I was just sitting and looking up at the nicely blue sky on a sunny day in late May, because this was the space I was given by the local chamber of commerce for its annual brocante/ flea market at the square. Though it was at the end of May and nicely sunny day, but here in Brussels, many people including me took a coat at a certain point on the day, simply because it was enough cold to do so.


Anyway, on our space, my wife offered used tableware including several dishes and cups, clothes, and toys for babies. And I put my old collections consisted of several books (all in English, they were about sports or business), a baseball cap (Chicago Cubs), and a soccer/football neck scarf (Paris Saint-German FC, a souvenir of my first visit in Paris). All were just for 1 euro at the time.


I still remember my first customer, who was a junior high school boy near Heros square, coming alone. At first, he took a look on a neck scarf of PSG, but showed more interest in biography books, particularly four of them, which were about football coaches, Mr Mourinho (Portuguese), Mr Wenger (French), Mr Cappello (Italy) and Sir Furguson (Scottish). Again, these books were all in English, and the boy spoke French, his native, and average-Dutch (both are must-learn-languages in Brussels school), but had totally no idea of English. While all these four people nicely attracted this boy because he took so much time to check all of them (actually checking pictures on the books), only, but a sky-high-barrier of English language prevented him from choosing neither of them. So, I actually helped him. I offered a special discount only for him, one for 25 cents (centieme euros), saying he surely could learn English with them. After my encouragement, he took Mr Mourinho's for 25 cents decisively, because it was the thinnest book among them.


Here was in the middle of Heros brocante, Uccle, Brussels.   

No comments: