31 July, 2012

paris marathon, not this year

Back in Paris, the Paris marathon was my first full marathon, and one of the most enjoyable runs in my narrow running history. One of the most memorable moments for me came at the very first of the marathon. We just began running through l'Avenue des Champs-Élysées to the Concord square. At 8:30, still just a few crowds were on the both sides of the avenue, and a few runners, who might miss a precious opportunity to go to the restroom before start, were just wandering around there to look for a toilet. 


We were heading to place de la Bastille, then going to bois de Vicennes, and coming back to Bastille square again. Then we found la Seine on our left. I remember that I saw only the top of cathedral Notre-Dame while running, but it was soon disappeared. After going through a tunnel near the riverside of Concord square, many found la tour Eiffel suddenly over la Seine on the left, maybe, it was around 30 km. And at the point, I remember I reduced my speed significantly simply for being tired, and mainly for fully enjoying scenery of rest of the course. After this point, I surely enjoyed the race with very slow speed, occasionally walking, but curiously enough, I have absolutely less memories of this last 10 km than the first 30km with my maximum speed for a long run. For last 10km, we went into bois de Boulogue, then headed for Arc de Triomphe, the official goal of this marathon. 


One impressive memory. It was maybe just 500m before the goal, I fully enjoyed my walking with seeing the surrounding, including both sides of the course, and its crowds, then seeing the back, thinking how far I've just run at this moment. Maybe, a runner walking and seeing the surrounding with pleasure (especially in front of the goal, not using final propulsion power) like me seemed to be very rare, so at the time, some crowds and runners coming behind me encouraged me, saying "don't give up! you are almost there!" With smile, I fully appreciated them, their kindness. 


Here was Paris.  

No comments: