18 July, 2012

tram's chauffeur goes to a boulangerie at an intersection

Maybe, it was a mild day in the morning in Brussels. As always, I took a tram to go to my office, and the tram, as always, already had several commuters on board, and several seats were still empty when I got into it. I sit on  literally the front seat, just behind the tram driver/chauffeur. And as the tram was going, I was just looking at the scenery from the tram window, just as always. 

It was a nice day, so, sun was shining in the morning in Brussels, and I think it was rare in here. 


When the tram passed through several stops, there was a boulangerie near an intersection, which was not big, not like franchise-chain store, but seemed to be a family owned and managed small bakery, and always had various sweet rolls, croissants and brioches in its showcase. And at the time, I realized that I was not the only person who just wanted to take one of these good looking sweet rolls. While the tram stopped at the intersection with red traffic light, the driver quite naturally went outside, and quietly entered the boulangerie. He seemed to say "bon jour" to the baker, and pointed his finger at a quite nice sweet roll. It took just 5 or 6 minutes for him to go back to his seat with a nice roll, but the traffic light already turned from red to blue, and then red came again. This means that  he had time to take a first bite of the roll, at least until the traffic light allowed the tram/him went on.


Here was Brussels, maybe, in spring or early summer, several years ago. 

No comments: