27 February, 2007

cheese fondue

Since here was not America, I tried to avoid having "MacDonalds" or "Burger King" as my dinner, both of which I easily found near the Basel SBB. Without these choices, I had a certain difficulty to find a restaurant that had a reasonable price and was easy to go in alone. Of course, there were several bars that had a small chalkboard mentioning about a nice tonight's menu, including a cheese fondue. But basically, I don't drink, so a bar was out of my option.
The answer was given by an efficient clerk in my hotel.
When I asked to her about a Swiss cuisine restaurant that I could go in alone, afford to eat, and hopefully enjoy a cheese fondue, she immediately said that I just needed two-block-walk from here.
The restaurant was located very near the hotel, and was managed by a middle-age couple. Maybe, a husband made dishes as an only chef inside the kitchen, while the wife took orders and served dishes. Whenever the husband completed dished, the side lamp near the kitchen turned brilliant red, until the wife took the dish and brought to hungry customers.
That red light impressed me so much that I hardly remember the taste of cheese fondue I enjoyed there. One more certain thing I still remember was that I shouldn't be alone, next time enjoying a fondue.
Here was Basel, Swiss

No comments: