06 March, 2007

classic city, modern city

In an Inter City train from Wien to Salzburg, an elderly man I met said that he used to be in Yokohama, and had a pretty good job related to harbor works. He was not a Japanese, but an Austrian born and bred. He laughed loudly and proudly said how much money he earned there.
So, this is maybe a reason why whenever walking around Yokohama city, I always recollect the elderly man, the compartment, and even Salzburg city as the designation at that time. It's quite strange 'cause, for me, I mean, in term of my personal viewpoint, both cities have few similarities with each other. Of course, In spite of its new town area near the train station, my strong impression of Salzburg city is such a beautiful and classic old town. On the other hand, Yokohama city may be represented by Minato-Mirai area, which has been redeveloped as a conglomerate of modern buildings with a huge Ferris wheel. The pic is a night view from the tallest building there that is named "landmark tower".
Here is Yokohama, Japan

No comments: