20 March, 2007

a stall had pig mascots

On the new year's eve, the last day of 1999, I saw tons of stalls that sold plenty of pig mascots especially to the locals in Wien. Of course, tourists, just like me, were looking at them and some or many would buy and fill their bags with them. At that time, many stalls on main roads had small wooden gable-roofs, which were perfectly mixed with a classic row of houses in the center of the city.
I still remember that a small, plastic pig mascot was just S5 (Austrian Schilling, not Euro at that time), so I tried to buy a couple of small pigs for my family. My guidebook told me that pigs or pig mascots for the upcoming new year symbolized "wealth" in Wien, because a pig was well known by its fertility.
After looking around several similar pig stalls, I decided to buy a small one, later, not on that eve day, but maybe on a new year or the day after it.
So, on January 2, 2000, I definitely decided to buy small plastic pigs and walked around the city to look for them, but couldn't find a stall itself anywhere. Maybe, people would buy pigs by a new year coming.
I somehow found one stall without any gables on a back street, which sold leftovers. In the stall, a small pig was for S10, costing double. I, nevertheless, bought two of them.
Here was on a back street, Wien, Austira.

No comments: