03 March, 2007

waltz and a cup of hard cider

On the evening of the new year's eve of the Millennium year, I and my friend were in the classic city hall of Wien. In front of the main building, there were two big temporary stages for a countdown event. At the shake of the evening, these two stages were filled with people who were made up in classic costumes. As Johan Strauss II's "An der Shönen, blauen Donau" was played by the orchestra (of course, all of us could easily expect this), people in the stages began to waltz. The two huge screens set in the facade of the hall captured every single people waltzing happily in the stages. Then, I realized that the large audience around us began to waltz with their girls, husbands, wives, grandmothers, relatives, or even people standing just next to them.
The great waltz world on the last day of 1999.
In order to celebrate this, I and my friend bought cups of hard cider from a stall there, though I didn't or don't usually drink. Every stall used a special cup for the celebrated Millennium year, which I slightly remember had a logo "Millennium Wien" on its side. Unfortunately, I lost my cup without notice.
The cider was a little bit strong for me, but that taste and waltzing made me happily say hello to the year of 2000.
Here was Wien, Austria.

No comments: