22 April, 2007

a bullet train going to a northern city

It was Saturday when I and my friend decided to take a bullet train going to a northern city. At the time, we were teens, and I'm sure it was at least my first journey without my family, or my first "exploration" of unknown places. We had a little money just enough to buy a special Japan Rail (aka "JR" train) ticket that allowed us for free to get on and off any JR trains, including expresses and even bullet trains, at any stations in northern parts of Japan.
We started this journey from Tokyo station, maybe in the evening, 'cause we were busy at day time. We took a Tohoku-Sinkansen, which was a bullet train going to the northernmost station at the time, Morioka city.
We didn't decide any purposes or any destinations (as usual since then for me on my travel), but thought slightly that we would talk about it before reaching Morioka city. But in the train, which took less than four hours to reach Morioka city, we've just completely slept. I still remembered that at the Morioka station, maybe, around 21:00, we were reluctantly talking about finding a cheap hotel to stay for the night, but didn't know how to find it. Around 21:00, the shops, stores and restaurants around the station were almost closed, because this city was not a metropolis like Tokyo that any shops were hardly closed until midnight.
We had two options at the time; The option 1 was finding an outside, safe space around the station to stay throughout the night. The option 2 was calling to cheap hotels that we could find tel-numbers on a yellow page that we luckily somehow found at the tel booth in the station.
We took the option 2 'cause we were so tired, then found a cheap hotel to stay. Still I remember the hotel's name, "Star Hotel". Sound simple.
Here was Morioka city, Japan

No comments: