13 April, 2007

taking a tram from sheung wan to north point

In my first traveling in Hong Kong Island, I took a tramcar from Sheung Wan to North Point without any purposes. Before taking a tram, I walked around the Sheung Wan area. I hardly remember where I walked around this not-so-large, or in short, narrow area, but certainly remembered the name of a particular street, "Cat Street". I found lots of old benders dealing in real or fake antiques and sundries along with the street.
Walking for a while from Cat Street, I found a Chinese noodle shop that hung a magazine article featured the shop's wonton noodle on its front door. The elder mistress beckoned me to come in, then said something in Cantonese that I hardly understood. With her gestures and pinpointing to the wonton noodle article, I just understood that I should order that noodle for my lunch, or the noodle would be served automatically without my saying any words. After a few minutes, as I expected, the wonton noddle came in front of me. The noodle bowl was a little bit smaller than I expected, but the taste was so good that the magazine wouldn't take any rake-off from this shop to make an article. Moreover, the noodle was so cheap, maybe, US$ 1 or less than US$ 2, at that time.
So, after finishing lunch, I took a tramcar to go to the North Point. I sit on a front seat in the second floor and looked out of the wide front window, while a tram running.
The scenery I saw was nothing special, but I still remembered it, and I guess, maybe I'll never forget it. A part of the scenery was a constant line of people, their excitements, signboards of shops, neon signs in day time, tall buildings, and the blue sky.
When getting off the tram, I felt the heat and high humidity as usual around here. Then, I walked and looked for interesting streets in North Point.
Here was Hong Kong, SAR of China.

No comments: