28 April, 2007

without a futon-set on december

On business, I've been in Akita city for just a month and stayed at the cheap guest house. On the very first night of my stay, maybe, around 24:00 (pm), when I began to prepare bedclothes including "futon-set" (or I can say, "make a bed"), I realized that there was no bedclothes, but only a mattress in a closet in my room.
Maybe, I have to explain about a "futon-set" and my self-bed making in a guest-house. A futon-set usually consists of a Japanese mattress that can be used for sitting, and a Japanese quilt usually made by feathers or cottons for covering with a body. In case this set is not enough to keep warm, people usually use blankets sandwiched between the mattress and quilt. As for self bed making, this is not a typical Japanese guest house style (I guess), but is one of reasons why this house was so cheap despite of good dinner and breakfast included just for a $30 or $40 for a night.
So, in short, I couldn't find most parts of my futon-set. I just had a Japanese mattress made by cotton. Of course, my room had an air-conditioner for keeping warm, though using this machine throughout the night made my room so dry that I might have a sore throat.
It was around 24:00 and I guessed that there were few chances of the elder landlady's still waking up. Moreover, I remembered that there was no check-in counter or particular room for us to contact with her. Moreover, these was no phone in the room, and I didn't know the number that would connect with her at mid-night.
I somehow wandered the length and breadth of the house for asking for my futon-set, but never found the room that the landlady would be. Eventually, I came back to my room with my empty hands, and decided to use the mattress for covering my body, and keep wearing my coat. I made the air-conditioner turned on all over the night.
Next morning, the elder landlady appeared from nowhere, and made for us a pretty good breakfast. At the time, I said to her that there was no futon-set in my room.
She just shouted, "Ohh, damm it! I forgot to bring it". She said sorry to me with plenty of smile.
In the same morning, it began to snow. I remembered that these were at least 2 inches of snow by the evening. Of course, it was a cold winter day at the beginning of December.
Here was Akita city, Japan.

No comments: